Sunday, May 1, 2016

Don't believe it


     The older I get, the more skeptical I become.  I hesitate before believing anything new; I question my past beliefs.  Some might say I have lost my faith in what I read, hear, and see.
     In order to enjoy fiction in print, theater, and movies, we have to suspend our disbelief.  We know what we are experiencing is not real but a combination of imagination and special effects.  Even non-fiction may contain unproven facts, exaggerations, and biases.  We have to consider the sources of information and their objectives.
     Ignorance and gullibility can cause people to believe things too quickly or easily.  Faith in preconceived notions can stunt critical thinking.  We can be fooled into believing many things that aren't true.  Taking the time and effort to test the validity of an idea, to examine the evidence, and apply logical thinking may keep us from being fooled.
     Who and what you trust help form your opinions.  When you lose trust in someone or something, you may be on your guard.  You want to protect yourself from living in fantasy, wishful thinking, or outright lies.  If it doesn't seem true, don't believe it.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment