Sunday, November 27, 2016

Everyman

   
     Every human being is the same in most ways.  Philip Roth's "Everyman" doesn't give the main character a name and only refers to his relatives on a first name basis.  The character's life in most respects is our life, every person's life.
     His parents taught him their religion and way of life, but when he grew up, he made up his own mind about these issues.  His sibling was his dearest, life-long friend.  His daughter was his faithful, loving child.  When he finished his career, he had time to spend on his avocation.  Satisfaction was found in  contact with other people.  After his parents and a few close friends became ill and died, he began to have remorse over some things he had done and regret over things left undone.  "Would everything be different, he asked himself, if I'd been different and done things differently?  This is the man I have made.  This is what I did to get here."  "There is no remaking reality."
     As he began to face his own health problems and witnessed his body wearing out, he realized that old age is an unrelenting battle.  He wanted to do his best for his remaining family and friends and said, "It's best to give while your hand is still warm."
     One of his friends in the last weeks of his life stated: "If I can write this memoir, I will have told people who I am."  Philip Roth could say this about his own novels.
     I also believe this is why I write my blog.  I can show my family and friends who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment