Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Passion

     I remember when the word passion referred to a strong amorous feeling.  A person who was passionate loved to be in love and make love.
     The word passion originally included suffering as in the Passion of Christ, the final period in the life of Jesus leading to his crucifixion and death.  He had a pure love for all.  Often people suffer when they are denied their hearts desire.
     Today the word passion can refer to any strong interest or desire to participate in favorite activities and hobbies.  Oprah and other pop psychologists popularized using the term to define your most loved activity or occupation which gives your life meaning.  Many believe this includes finding and developing your purpose in life and thereby serving God and mankind.
     Words change meaning over the years.  More definitions can be added.  I have a strong liking for many activities, but I can't say I feel a passion for an occupation or hobby.   Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I cling to the definition of passion as the strong amorous love between two people.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment