Friday, August 29, 2014

Filter and Ignore

     I have always tried to read and listen to all sides of issues, but recently, I've decided to ignore certain topics.
     I rarely watch the local newscasts because they begin with the latest murders and end with sports and YouTube videos.  I refuse to listen to the same stories repeated and prolonged by the media.  I stop watching shows and movies that depict rape.  I find it difficult to view old movies that feature unliberated female characters, so I stop watching.  I also mute commercials.
     I no longer read posts about creationism, anti-evolution, homosexuality and abortion as sin, anti-choice and anti-gay rights.   I refuse to listen to Obama bashing and other prejudicial opinions including FOX News.
     One way to reduce stress is to filter what comes into your mind.  Don't close your mind completely, but don't waste your time on what you consider nonsense.  You wouldn't let people dump rubbish in your living room.  Even when you try your best to present your opinions in a logical manner, some people will have closed minds.  If they don't try to understand your point of view, ignore theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment